FROM today, Australians will be able to pay for goods using their iPhone, iPad or Apple Watches and Apple Pay.
The contactless payment system has been a long time coming, having launched in the United States a year ago.
In order to use Apple Pay in Australia, you will need to be an American Express card holder, which is about 20 per cent of the card market in Australia. Apple is continuing to work with the other card holders but there is no update yet on when Visa and Mastercard holders in Australia will be able to use Apple Pay. Apple Pay will be available for Australians with an Amex card issued directly by American Express — not an American Express card issued through a bank.
When you go to use Apple Pay, this is what you need to know:
• With the latest update to iOS, the Passbook app is now called Wallet. To set up Apple Pay, go to Apple Wallet and hit on the plus symbol. It can use your default iTunes card if it is an American Express card, or you can add a card by using the iPhone camera to take a picture of your card.
• You don’t have to unlock your iPhone when making a purchase with your iPhone. The NFC antenna is at the top on the phone, and you don’t have to touch your iPhone or Apple Watch against the reader. Just place it close to it and the receiver will detect the Apple device. You then need to confirm your identity with Touch ID on your phone.
• You can use an Apple Watch to pay for a purchase, and don’t need to have your iPhone with you. You just need to be wearing your Watch so that it is unlocked. If you’re heading out for a run and want a coffee when you finish, you can pay with a swipe of your Watch. No need to have an internet connection, an iPhone, cash, or your wallet.
• When you register your card to use Apple Pay on your Apple device, it generates an unique code that is not the three-digit security code on the back of your phone or your PIN. It also uses a dynamic security code for each transaction, so if the store’s security is hacked your credit card is still secure.
• If your Apple device is lost or stolen, you can log on to Find my Phone to disable Apple Pay.
• Just like when using a credit card, you don’t need your device to be connected to the internet to use Apple Pay. If you’re travelling with your iPhone and have data turned off, you can still use Apple Pay.
• American Express Card Members in Australia will be able to us Apple Pay at any store where contactless American Express payments are accepted, including: David Jones, Myer, Coles, Woolworths, Target, Bunnings and Shell.
• Apple Pay can also be used for purchases through participating apps. Rather than go to the online check-out, you can hit the Apple Pay button to finish the transaction without needing to put in delivery details which are store in your account.