By – Veena Sashikumar
It is getting colder every day and we are looking for quick and hot options to fill us up and keep us warm without spending hours in the kitchen. Here is one of my all-time favourite smooth soups and a spiced bread that’s simple and yummy.
POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
- Leek – 1 – sliced (use the white and light green parts only, you should discard the dark green leaves)
- Potatoes – 3 medium sized – chopped
- Sweet potatoes – 2 – chopped
- Onions – 2 – slices
- Garlic – 2 pods – roughly chopped (optional)
- Ginger – 1” piece – roughly chopped
- Chilly – 1 to 2 (optional)
- Basil – paste or dry – tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Milk of your choice – 1 cup
- Vegetable Stock – 3 cubes or 2 tbsp. or combination or liquid stock
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream / cream/ coconut cream/ butter/ coriander / bread crumbs – for garnish
- In a pot heat the oil add garlic, ginger and basil and sauté for a bit
- Add the sliced onion and leek and sauté till they wilt and get translucent.
- Add the chopped potatoes. The smaller and even sized pieces you make the faster they will cook.
- Add stock and water and let the potatoes cook.
- If you are using liquid stock do not use water.
- Add the milk and blend smooth.
- Adjust the taste at this point, add salt or water to suit your taste.
- Serve hot with the garnish of your choice.
This is a recipe one of my chef friends – Anurag Singh, gave me. It is so simple and yummy and a perfect accompaniment with hot soup. It’s a great starter at parties too.
- Turkish loaf – 1
- Oil / butter (melted) – 3 – 4 tbsps.
- Fresh garlic – minced
- Chilli flakes – ½ to 1 tsp (increase if you like it hot)
- Salt to taste
- Mixed herbs – 1 tsp
- In a cup mix the oil, garlic, chilli flakes, salt and mixed herbs
- Make cube like slits on the bread but don’t cut it all the way through. This is to let the spiced oil seep through the bread.
- Now brush the oil on the bread and bake it in the oven at 180o for 15 – 20 mins till the bread gets a bit brown on top.
- It is ready to be served with hot soup or just with dips of your choice.
WARNING – if you have a family who loves their crunchy food then you better get more than 1 loaf of bread or you’ll end up hungry!
- You can add grated cheese on top or insert cheese slices in the slits
- You can top it with some sesame, chia and or poppy seeds
I am a food and nutrition enthusiast. I love baking and experimenting with new recipes. Some of my cakes are displayed on my Facebook page – annibunnycakes. And my recipe blog is cookwithveena.blogspot.com.au. Do post your thoughts & comments when you try a recipe or like a cake.