A number of schools across Sydney have been evacuated after receiving bomb threats, police say.
Threats were made on Friday morning against schools in Mona Vale on Sydney’s northern beaches, Woolooware in Sydney’s south, and at Richmond and Penrith in Sydney’s west, 2GB reported.
The threats are understood to have been made between 10.50am and 11.10am.
A NSW Police spokeswoman confirmed that police operations were taking place simultaneously at schools across Sydney.
“Police are aware of numerous threats made to schools in the Metropolitan and Southern Regions,” the spokeswoman said.
“Investigations are continuing, and police are liaising with the Department of Education.
“Police are warning that making such threats is a serious criminal offence and every effort will be made to identify the person or persons responsible.”
A NSW Ambulance spokesman said paramedics were called to a school on High Street at Penrith at 10.50am; to a school on Woolooware Road in Woolooware at 11am; and to a school on Francis Street at Richmond at 11.10am. Paramedics were on scene as a precautionary measure, the spokesman said.
2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley said all of the threats were understood to be hoaxes.
There was no confirmation that any of the threats were genuine. No students had been harmed.
Several students from Woolooware High School posted selfies to Facebook from the Sharkies Leagues Club, where they were being held.
“We’re all good,” one student said.
“We are okay just evacuated to sharks leagues club. so scary,” posted another student.
One mother said students had been told at midday that they would be allowed back in to the school by 12.30pm.
Footage obtained by Channel Seven showed students and teachers being evacuated from Penrith High School. The students had gathered on an oval and on an outdoor basketball court.
It’s believed the school evacuated in Richmond is St Monica’s Primary School. A text message was sent to Richmond High School parents confirming reports about the school were incorrect.
A Department of Education spokesman said several schools received threats this morning.
“Each school is taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of its students and no students are in danger,” he said.
“Police are attending at each location also as a precaution. Concerned parents can contact their child’s school.”