Winter can be tough on your skin. Winter-proof Your Skin Now! Those of you struggling with dry and irritated skin in this cold, windy weather must know that it is natural for the skin to become parched and dull during this time. But fret not, here some skincare essentials and quick fixes that your cracked, chapped skin will thank you for in the coming months.
- Mix honey and milk (in equal amounts) and apply on the face, leave it on for 15 minutes and wash off. You can also mix half-a-cup of honey to your bath water regularly for soft and smooth skin
- Aloe Vera also helps remove dead skin cells and helps in healing and moisturising. Pure Aloe Vera gels can also be applied topically on affected areas
- It may not sound inviting but a simple facemask made of egg white and honey can greatly brighten your face
- For those with oily skin: Soak fullers’ earth and mint powder in yoghurt for 30 minutes and beat them into a fine mixture. Apply it on the face and leave it on for 15 minutes or till it’s semi-dry. Wash off with lukewarm water, then rinse with regular water and wait for the magic!
- Body massages with coconut or almond oil are important at least once a week. You can also opt for a quick five-minute massage with almond and Vitamin E oil. This alleviates redness and leaves the skin soft and supple
- Mix one tablespoon of fresh strawberries with rosewater and apply it on your face. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse. Notice the difference immediately. Strawberry is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C that brightens dull and dry skin, and rosewater helps in soothing flaky and irritable skin
- A face pack made of cocoa and coconut milk too can work wonders. Mix one teaspoon of cocoa powder with 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and a little honey. Make it into a smooth paste. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse
- Whip up a magic mask with a few fresh cranberries, two tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of Argan oil and keep it on for ten minutes. Rinse, and say hello to wrinkle-free, hydrated, bright skin.
- You can also indulge in a yummy facemask, comprising avocado and honey. Rich in natural oils, avocado nourishes the skin while honey keeps it hydrated. Mash half a ripe avocado, add two teaspoons of organic honey, prick a vitamin E capsule and add a few drops into the honey-avocado mixture and leave it on your skin for 30 minutes. Wash off with water and watch yourself glow
Skincare Tips From Shahnaz Hussain:
Come winter, you need to adjust your daily routine to provide moisture and nourishment to your skin. If your skin is normal to dry, discontinue washing with soap and cleanse your face twice a day with a cleansing cream or gel, containing aloe vera, in order to check moisture loss and also rehydrate skin. Apply the cleanser with a light massage and wipe it off with moist cotton wool. For oily skin, use cleansing milk or face wash. Tone the skin, with rose water or a rose-based skin tonic.
You must also protect your skin from moisture loss during the day. Always apply sunscreen before going out in the sun. Most sunscreens have built-in moisturisers. Moisturisers are available in cream and liquid form. For extreme dryness, use a cream. A liquid moisturiser should also be used under make-up at all times.
Nourishment is imperative for dry skin, as it not only lubricates the skin, but also helps it retain moisture better. After cleansing at night, apply nourishing cream on face and massage it with upward and outward movements, for three to four minutes. Wipe off excess cream with moist cotton wool before bedtime.
The skin around the eyes is thin and delicate. It acquires lines and wrinkles easily. Apply an under-eye cream and wipe it off after 15 minutes, with moist cotton wool. You can also apply pure almond oil sparingly and massage lightly, using only the ring finger, for one minute under each eye, daily. Massage in one direction only.
The skin on the lips is thin and lacks oil-producing glands. It becomes dry and chaps easily. After cleansing, apply almond oil or almond cream on the lips daily and leave it on all night. Sun-protective lip balms are also useful.
For the body, arms and legs, apply warm sesame seed oil before bath and massage it into the skin. Use mild glycerine soap. Immediately after your shower, apply a body lotion while the skin is still damp. This helps to seal in the moisture.
Get Glowing, The Shahnaz Way
- Mix honey with one teaspoon orange juice and apply on the face to make it soft and smooth. Wash it off after 20 minutes. Honey suits all skin types. For oily and acne-prone skin, mix one teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon of curd and a little turmeric. Wash it off with plenty of water after 20 minutes
- Mix half a teaspoon of honey, one teaspoon of rose water and one teaspoon of dried milk powder or milk. Make into a paste and apply on the face. Remove after 20 minutes with water. Applying mayonnaise or egg yolk on the skin also helps to reduce dryness
- For oily and combination skin: To 100 ml rose water, add one teaspoon of pure glycerine. Mix well; keep it in a glass bottle in the fridge. Apply on the face to moisturise. This lotion can also be used on hands and feet
- Boil cabbage in plenty of water. Cool the liquid and use it to wash your face. Cabbage is rich in minerals and vitamins and is good for all skin types. Grate carrots and apply on the face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Carrot is rich in Vitamin A and good for winter skin problems
- Mashed banana, applied like a mask, is also excellent for dry skin during winter
- Take pure olive oil and mix a little cream of milk. Apply on your face and wash it off with plenty of water after 15 minutes. This is good for normal to dry skin.