22.8 C
Australia
Sunday, November 1, 2020

Trump says he’ll ban TikTok from operating in US

Must read

Qld election 2020: Qld/NSW border choice to be made, Sydney suburbs locked out

Lots of of hundreds of New South Wales residents will probably be allowed to enter Queensland from Tuesday, nevertheless the state will stay...

ASX: Worst weekly fall since April

The Australian sharemarket completed the final buying and selling day of the month on a bitter notice, racking up its worst weekly fall...
The Indian Telegraphhttps://theindiantelegraph.com.au/
Established in 2007, The Indian Telegraph is a multi award winning digital media company based in Australia.

US President Donald Trump has said that he will ban the popular Chinese-owned video app TikTok from operating in the country through an executive order as early as Saturday, according to media reports.

Speaking to reporters on board the Air Force One on Friday, the President said: “As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the US.”

Trump said he could use emergency economic powers or an executive order as early as Saturday to officially bar the company from the US, The Hill news website reported.

“Well, I have that authority. I can do it with an executive order or that,” the President said, while signalling that he was not supportive of allowing an American company to acquire TikTok.

Trump’s announcement came hours after reports that Microsoft was in talks to purchase TikTok from Beijing-based company ByteDance.

That report emerged around the same time news outlets reported that Trump was considering signing an executive order requiring ByteDance to divest the American portion of TikTok due to concerns that the company may be giving sensitive US data collected through the app to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), said The Hill news website.

Trump administration officials have for weeks floated taking action against TikTok due its connections to China.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made similar comments earlier this month, announcing that the administration was considering banning Chinese apps, including TikTok, due to national security concerns.

The US President’s announcement also came nearly a month after India on June 29 banned 59 Chinese apps, including TikTok, over national security concerns.

Pompeo had welcomed India’s move, saying the “clean app” policy will promote New Delhi’s national security against the CCP spying on the country.

“We welcome India’s ban on certain mobile apps that can serve as appendages of the CCP’s surveillance state. India’s ‘clean app’ approach will boost India’s sovereignty, will also boost India’s integrity and national security as the Indian government itself has stated,” he had said.

Latest article

Qld election dwell outcomes: Former browsing champion Wayne ‘Rabbit’ Bartholomew on verge of upset

Surfer Wayne ‘Rabbit’ Bartholomew seems to be set to swap the waves for the Queensland parliament.The three-time world champion is nipping on the...

QLD election 2020 dwell outcomes: Glimpse of LNP election celebration sums up extreme loss

Queensland Opposition Chief Deb Frecklington and her Liberal-Nationwide Occasion was handed a drubbing within the state election on Saturday evening.Labor pulled off hefty...

QLD election 2020 dwell outcomes: One Nation’s Pauline Hanson catastrophe evening

Pauline Hanson has blown up throughout a fiery interview on Sky Information after One Nation’s election catastrophe in her dwelling state of Queensland.Labor...

Costo says he was imagined to be ‘politically useless’

Whitsunday MP Jason Costigan talks after conceding the seat of Whitsunday

Qld election stay outcomes: Labor minister Grace Grace in battle to retain McConnel

Labor stalwart Grace Grace is within the battle of her life to hold on to her central Brisbane seat.Early outcomes present the schooling...