23.6 C
Australia
Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Taliban attacked a military base in Afghanistan, killing at least three

Must read

Queensland coronavirus numbers: No new cases recorded in the state

Queensland recorded no new coronavirus cases in the state, the health department has confirmed.The number of active cases remains steady at just six...

Melbourne COVID-19 restrictions: Companies slam Dan Andrews’ delay

Companies have slammed Daniel Andrews’ “cautious pause” on easing restrictions, after a hoped-for announcement that retail and hospitality may start opening was delayed...
The Indian Telegraphhttps://theindiantelegraph.com.au/
Established in 2007, The Indian Telegraph is a multi award winning digital media company based in Australia.

Taliban insurgents launched a complex attack on Tuesday morning against a military base in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least three public protection forces, an official said.

Five other forces were wounded in the attack, said Abdul Rahman Mangal, a spokesman for the governor in Paktia province.

A suicide car bomber targeted the entrance gate of the base in the provincial capital Gardez then two gunmen started shooting at the Afghan security forces, Mangal said.

Security forces killed both attackers in a gunbattle lasting almost 10 minutes and the area is now under control, he added.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the group claimed responsibility for the attack in Gardez.

The attack comes after Afghanistan’s president appointed 46 members to a council for national reconciliation, which will have final say on whether the government will sign a peace deal with the Taliban after what are expected to be protracted and uncertain negotiations with the insurgents.

The negotiations were envisaged under a US-Taliban peace agreement signed in February as intra-Afghan talks to decide the country’s future. A series of delays have hampered the start of the negotiations, which some had expected to begin late last month.

There are also other obstacles in the way of the negotiations. The Afghan government has reversed a decision to release the last 320 Taliban prisoners it is holding until the insurgents free more captured soldiers.

The US-Taliban deal called on the Taliban to free 1,000 government and military personnel they hold captive while the government was to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners, in an exchange meant as a goodwill gesture ahead of the intra-Afghan negotiations.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by The Indian Telegraph staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Latest article

Gamal Elsaied Elboushi jailed for bomb scare

A Gold Coast man behind a terrifying airport bomb hoax has been jailed for six years, with a decide saying his “criminally appalling...

Mert Ney pleads responsible to CBD stabbing homicide

The person who killed a younger lady earlier than happening a terrifying knife-wielding rampage via the CBD final yr has admitted his guilt.Mert...

Bendigo Financial institution board takes six month pay reduce

The board of Australia’s fifth-largest retail financial institution is taking a pay reduce, saying it's sharing the burden of a troublesome yr, however...

Kyle Daniels: Mosman swim instructor jury discharged

The intercourse assault trial of Mosman swim instructor Kyle Daniels has been aborted at some point in after the jury was discharged.Mr Daniels,...

Qld election 2020: Early voters smash election document

There's nonetheless 4 days to go till the Queensland state election and already extra individuals have voted early than ever earlier than.Greater than...