Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a Rs 8,000-crore scheme in Uttar Pradesh’s Ballia on Sunday to provide five crore free cooking gas connections to below poverty line (BPL) families.
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, to be run essentially using the money saved from 1.13 crore cooking gas users voluntarily giving up their subsidies, aims to provide cooking gas connections to 5 crore women beneficiaries from BPL families over the next three years.
The PM will also visit his constituency Varanasi, where he will distribute e-rickshaws to beneficiaries.
Here are highlights of PM Modi’s speech in Ballia:
- Schemes must be made for the welfare of the poor not keeping in mind considerations of the ballot box. People need schooling and jobs
- Let us pledge that we will never dirty the Ganga. Once we decide the Ganga will remain clean, no force can dirty it
- Government of India is working a lot and allocating tremendous resources for the development of Uttar Pradesh
- This scheme launched today will benefit poor families and particularly poor women.
- Fruits of development have to reach the eastern part of India and then we will gain strength in the fight against poverty.
- I came to Balliya to announce the scheme for cooking gas connections because this region has low number of connections.
- Connectivity in this region, rail lines, bridges…these issues were ignored but I congratulate all local MPs for ensuring these changes.
- There was a time when people used to say ‘labourers of world, unite’. Now,we need to say ‘labourers,unite the world’.
- We initiated a Shram Suvidha Portal that has helped the Shramiks of the nation. A labour identity number was given.
- This is a government for the poor. Whatever we will do will be for the poor. We have worked a lot on labour related issues.
- In this century our Mantra should be: all Shramiks of the world let’s make the world one. Unite the world.
- We have gathered here on Labour Day. I laud the hardwork of all Shramiks and appreciate their role in the progress of India.
- This land of Ballia is a revolutionary land. This land gave us Mangal Pandey. People from here give their lives to the nation.