37.5 C
Australia
Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Private health funds to stop paying to fix botched surgeries

Must Read

ABC 7.30: Former PM Paul Keating says ‘government wants to kill superannuation’

Former Prime Minister Paul Keating has come out swinging against the government, accusing it of trying to rob Australians.Former Prime Minister Paul Keating...

South Australia heatwave: temperatures to reach 45 degrees

South Australia is set to sizzle this weekend as temperatures reach 4o degrees. But the worst is yet to come.The mercury is set...

EXCLUSIVE

PRIVATE health insurers will stop paying for public hospital surgeries that leave policyholders with scalpels or scissors inside them.

Currently a fund, and possibly a policyholder, could end up having to pay twice — once for the bungled surgery and again for the fix.

News Corp Australia can also reveal that with the number of private patients in public hospitals increasing, insurers will seek binding contracts with state governments or public hospitals stipulating quality levels and costs.

Some funds say they don’t know how often they have been paying for operations gone bad, but they intend to find out. Others say that when they do learn of a so-called “never” or “Sentinel” event from a patient, they go so far as to push the surgeon who made the mistake to cover the cost of another surgeon fixing the problem.

Insurers have for several years had no-pay deals in place with private hospitals covering as many as 80 errors and complications. These range from avoidable deaths and operating on the wrong side of the body to infections and pressure injuries.

The largest fund, Medibank, said its approach had reduced “hospital acquired complications” in some facilities by as much as 30 per cent.

“We’ve made good progress working with our private hospital providers on hospital complications and intend to continue to focus our efforts more broadly across the hospital sector to enhance health outcomes for our customers,” said Medibank’s benefits boss David Simpson.

Private Healthcare Australia (PHA) chief executive Rachel David said: “While no-one wants to penalise a struggling hospital, it is important not to inadvertently incentivise a hospital for poor quality. This occurs when a patient is readmitted, or an admission is prolonged because of a medical error and the hospital gets extra money.”

2

Both Bupa and HCF also said they expect they will soon no longer pay for bungles, following a move by the Federal Government to cut off funding for mistakes from July.

HCF’s benefits head Cindy Shay said that sometimes private patients mistreated in public hospitals had been made to pay twice. To avoid this, HCF had “advocated” on patients’ behalf including by asking the surgeon to do the operation again without charge or asking the surgeon to pay another surgeon to do it if a patient didn’t want to be operated on again by the surgeon who made the mistake.

3

PHA’s Dr David said that a move towards formal contractual arrangements with public hospitals made sense because “as driving private patients in public hospitals becomes part of the business model of State Governments, volumes are likely to increase”. News Corp Australia has previously revealed the public hospital push to make the privately insured use their cover when being treated in public hospitals, even though the policyholder doesn’t have to.

*******

THE campaign for discounted health insurance is fast closing in on its goal of 40,000 supporters.

About 33,000 people have joined the Big Health Insurance Switch since it launched two weeks ago.

The campaign aims to extra a saving of $400-plus for families struggling with the repeated supersized increases in premiums, the latest of which kicked in at the start of the month.

Campaign organisers One Big Switch said a major survey of supporters had found 75 per cent are making sacrifices to pay their premium, and 70 per cent are considering dropping or downgrading their cover.

To join the Big Health Insurance Switch go to www.onebigswitch.com.au

*There is no obligation to take up any offer. This masthead’s publisher News Corp Australia and One Big Switch will earn a commission from any accepted deals. News Corp Australia is a shareholder of One Big Switch

Online Source: The News

Latest News

Coronavirus NSW: Restrictions to be eased before Christmas

NSW has announced 30 people will be allowed in one home from next week - but there’s a way you can get 50...

Will Pucovski: Australian coach says batting dynamo won’t replace Matthew Wade or Travis Head

Will Pucovski can “bat anywhere” in the Australian Test team, but Justin Langer says that doesn’t mean he gets in to play India.Australian...

Surf Life Saving Australia asks beachgoers to Adopt an Hour

Australian beachgoers are being asked to pay for every hour they spend at the beach this summer as part of a bold new...

Coronavirus SA: Woodville Pizza Bar worker breaks silence

The pizza shop worker whose lie led to South Australia’s unnecessary shutdown has broken his silence about the matter for the first time.The...

Victoria budget: New trams and enviro-friendly buses funded

Victorian commuters can enjoy a new fleet of Australian-made trams and planet-friendly buses under plans unveiled in the state budget.A new tram fleet...