17.1 C
Australia
Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Plunket Shield cancelled due to coronavirus measures, Wellington named champions

Must read

Kylie Moore-Gilbert moved from Qarchak jail in Iran to unknown location

A British-Australian educational detained in Iran has been moved from a infamous jail to an unknown location, a human rights organisation has mentioned....

Tammara Macrokanis: Man accused of Coomera collision that killed mum of five

A Gold Coast man has been charged after a the body of a mum of five was discovered at the weekend.The body of...
The Indian Telegraphhttps://theindiantelegraph.com.au/
Established in 2007, The Indian Telegraph is a multi award winning digital media company based in Australia.

The final two rounds of the Plunket Shield, New Zealand’s domestic first-class competition, have been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic with Wellington being named the 2019-20 champions.

NZC chief executive David White said the decision had been made based on medical advice following the tightening of travel restrictions by the New Zealand government and in order to cut down on use of flights and hotels.

Wellington are 26 points ahead of second place and have been awarded the title.

“The strong consensus within NZC is that extra measures need to be taken to safeguard both the health and well-being of the New Zealand cricket family and the wider public interest,” White said. “The medical advice we’re receiving is that we need to take a lead on this matter.

“We’re informed the risk is very real; the pace of change is great – and we have a duty of care to not only our staff and players but our communities as well.”

However, due to the lack of person-to-person transmission of COVID-19 in New Zealand, the advice of NZC medical staff and the Ministry of Health is that club and amateur cricket could continue.

“The current advice is that there is no reason why community cricket should not continue unless, or until, there is new information to hand,” White said.

NZC has also postponed the New Zealand Cricket Awards, scheduled for March 30, for similar reasons.

“Hopefully this is something we can stage at a later, and more appropriate date – but at the moment it would be far too much of a risk to hold the event in a fortnight, as scheduled,” White said. “Our absolute priority right now is to safeguard the health and well-being of our staff, our players, our wider cricket family – and everyone else connected to the game in New Zealand.”

The New Zealand squad made a hasty departure from Australia on Saturday when the government announced the majority of international travelers arriving into the country from midnight on Sunday would need to self-isolate for 14 days.

The final two matches of the Chappell-Hadlee series were called off and Australia’s three match T20I tour also postponed.

Latest article

Climate NSW, Qld: ‘Harmful’ forecast of storms

Triple menace storms are anticipated to ravage southeast Queensland and northern NSW on Tuesday and Wednesday, as forecasters warn it is a style...

Victorian lockdown: Daniel Andrews celebrates reopening with ‘prime shelf’ drink

Daniel Andrews has been slammed on social media after making good on his promise to have a good time easing Melbourne’s restrictions with...

Cricket: The Boxing Day Check not solely will likely be on the MCG however will possible have a crowd too

The lifting of lockdown in Victoria has paved the way in which for crowds to attend this yr’s Boxing Day Check between Australia...

Corrimal: Pedestrian killed, hit by truck

A person has died after he was hit by a truck in a carpark close to Wollongong.The incident occurred simply after 10am Monday...

Coronavirus Victoria: PM says ‘lengthy winter’ lockdown over as restrictions ease

The Prime Minister has congratulated Victorians on the forthcoming easing of restrictions after the state recorded no new circumstances for the primary time...