25.7 C
Australia
Thursday, October 29, 2020

No Exception On Helmet Rules For Sikh Workers In Canada: Quebec Court

Must read

Coronavirus Victoria: PM says ‘lengthy winter’ lockdown over as restrictions ease

The Prime Minister has congratulated Victorians on the forthcoming easing of restrictions after the state recorded no new circumstances for the primary time...

Daniel Andrews: Authorities constructing new QR code checking system

Premier Daniel Andrews says a statewide QR (fast response) code check-in system might be “the very best within the nation” when it's rolled...

Three Sikh truck drivers have been ordered to wear hard hats at work by a Canadian court which ruled that no exception can be made for them as the men lost a 10-year-long legal battle against religious discrimination.

Three Sikh men who drove container trucks at the Port of Montreal had argued they had a right to wear a turban instead of a helmet based on Quebec and Canadian charter rights protecting freedom of religion.

In a ruling released Wednesday, Quebec Superior Court Justice Andre Prevost recognised that the requirement to wear helmets violated the mens’ charter rights but ruled that safety should trump religion in this case, the Canadian Press reported.

He ruled the port’s rules were justified because they protect workers against head injuries.

“The risks are not lower because the claimants are Sikh and wear turbans,” he wrote in his decision.

“The safety obligations of the defendants are not less stringent, either, towards the claimants than towards other workers,” the judge was quoted as saying.

In a case dating back to 2006, the men had argued they were victims of religious discrimination after they were no longer allowed to enter the port’s terminals without protective headgear. The safety measures were put in place in 2005.

Originally an accommodation was put in place allowing the drivers to stay in their trucks while containers were loaded, but that was eventually deemed not commercially viable because it increased the loading time.

Julius Gray, the lawyer representing the three men, said he was disappointed by the decision but was encouraged that the judge recognised his client’s charter rights had been violated.

Gray said he would meet with his clients next week to decide whether to appeal the decision.

“I personally believe it’s a case that can be very easily and effectively appealed, so I hope that’s what they’ll do,” he said.

Online Source

The Indian Telegraph Sydney Australia

Latest article

Surfers Paradise: NSW man punches, pushes police

A NSW man who allegedly punched two Gold Coast cops earlier than pushing one onto the street and the opposite right into a...

Parramatta: George Road closed after pictures fired

A significant avenue in Parramatta has been shut down as a police operation unfolds after pictures have been fired at a house in...

Coles, Afterpay updates assist ASX erase early losses

The Australian sharemarket managed to climb increased on Wednesday after a bumpy begin triggered by abroad COVID-19 fears was overcome by a string...

Retail: Melbourne customers swamp shops after months of lockdown

Buyers flocking to Bunnings and Kmart in Melbourne’s north have been eager to spend and largely compliant with coronavirus guidelines.Prospects lined up in...

Endeavour Hills homicide: Two accused additionally face theft prices

Two males accused of killing a Melbourne man allegedly tried to steal medicine from the sufferer whereas armed with a sawn-off shotgun and...