Dreamworld’s Thunder River Rapids ride “stopped a couple of times” but did not shut for maintenance on the day it claimed four lives in the Dreamworld tragedy, the theme park’s chief executive says.
The attraction will never operate again following the fatal incident on October 25 and it remains unclear when the theme park will reopen.
Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson has confirmed the ride had stopped on the day of the Dreamworld tragedy, but said reports it had been closed because of maintenance issues were incorrect.
“On that day we had not shut down the ride for maintenance,” he told ABC radio on the Gold Coast on Monday.
“But the ride had stopped a couple of times throughout the day.”
Mr Davidson said he could not go into details about why the ride had stopped as the investigation into the incident was ongoing.
A full review of the park’s rides is being undertaken following the deaths of Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low.
Mr Davidson said while the theme park was as interested as the public to understand how the Dreamworld tragedy occurred, getting those answers would take time. He said being respectful to the families involved and ensuring the safety of the park’s attractions remained the priority.
“We haven’t set a time frame … quite simply we will do this slowly, methodically and properly,” he said.
“We have to build confidence up for our guests, our team and the broader community, and that will take some time.”
Online Source: News.com.au.