21.8 C
Sydney
Monday, October 18, 2021

Chinese Intrusion in Uttarakhand, Face Off For 40 Minutes

Must read

- Sponsored Ad -

Chinese troops intruded into Uttarakhand last week and came face to face with Indian soldiers, the government said today.

After a face-off that lasted about 40 minutes, both sides pulled back.

- Advertisement -

The area where the incursion took place is a grazing ground of about 80 square km at Barahoti, in Chamoli District  claimed by both India and China, say officials.

Indian troops do not  carry weapons in the area and are usually not in uniform, top sources said.

- Advertisement -

Unlike the eastern sector comprising Arunachal Pradesh and the western sector, which is the Ladakh area, maps of this region, known as the central sector, have been exchanged by India and China.

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said he had flagged the subject with the Centre after the incursion, which was noticed when Indians had gone to measure the area.

- Advertisement -

“It is very worrying. I have been saying that border vigilance should be increased,” Mr Rawat told reporters, adding that it was a “good thing they didn’t touch an important canal.”

“I am sure the central government will take cognizance,” he added.

Minister of state for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said: “We will seek a report. We need to see how deep into our territory they came.”

Uttarakhand shares a 350 km boundary with China.

In the past, Chinese troops have been known to cross over and write ‘China’ on rocks in the Chamoli district.

This area has also seen aerial transgressions and infiltration by foot patrols in 2013 and 2014.

Online Source

The Indian Telegraph Sydney Australia

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article