Bollywood has a few surprise flicks to enliven 2015
Bollywood is finally over the extended New Year parties, and the stars are back to work, planning movie dates. Check out unmissable films of 2015, by Aarti Kapur Singh.
1. Bajirao Mastani:This is probably one movie we’ve been hearing about for a long, long time! In fact, it was first announced way back in 2003 by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, with Salman and Aishwarya in the lead roles. And then the rest is history! After that Kareena was announced as the lead heroine, but that also got scrapped. Long story short, the movie is finally slated for a December 2015 date with Ranveer Singh, Deepika padukone, and Priyanka Chopra in the lead roles. In fact, Ranveer also recently went bald for his role as Bajirao. Let’s just keep our fingers crossed that nothing delays the movie now!
2. Tamasha:Are we stoked about another Deepika- Ranbir starrer, or what? Especially since we’ve seen stills from the sets. It’s got the Deepika-Ranbir pairing, with Imtiaz Ali’s direction, AR Rahman’s music, and is being shot at the exotic locales of Corisca, France. What’s not to be excited about? Deepika plays a character who is out on an exciting journey during which she meets Ranbir’s character and they fall in love, forming a group which stages dramatic plays. Hence, the title ‘Tamasha.
3. Bajrangi Bhaijaan:We saw the Salman and Kareena pairing last in 2011 flick ‘Bodyguard’. With ‘Bajrangi Bhaijan’, the pair returns to the big screen for a love story once again. But it’s tad bit sensitive this time since it’s based on the inter-religious love story of a Muslim boy and Brahmin girl. Recently Kabir Khan, the director of the movie, released a statement rubbishing rumours that it’s based on a love jihad. Meanwhile, both Kareena and Salman shared backstage pictures from the shooting of the movie on social networking sites.
4. Badlapur:Well, I don’t have to say much about this since almos every filmi buff must have seen the trailer by now. And that’s exactly why we’re super stoked about this one too! Okay, Varun Dhawan, you’ve clearly managed to surprise us all. Last we saw you playing a collegegoing lover boy in ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhaniya’. And boom! The very next flick, you’re all grown up, rugged, raw, and damn brutal! The movie’s also got two of the prettiest ladies in B-town, Huma Qureshi and Yami Gautam. And the amazing Nawazuddin Sadiqqui plays the baddie. Also, it’s a Sriram Raghavan film, whose repertoire includes title such as ‘Ek Haseena Thi’ and ‘Johnny Gaddaar’. So we’re guessing this one will be pretty dark too.
5. Fan:Okay, all SRK fans, rejoice! This is the movie which marks Khan’s comeback in the Chopra camp after ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’. He plays a typical fanboy in the flick, and we spotted him recently, shooting outside his own bungalow trying to gatecrash it. It’ll be directed by Maneesh Sharma (of ‘Band Baaja Baaraat’ fame), and Oscar winning makeup artist Greg Cannom will be doing SRK’s makeup. Yeah, fancy!
6. Prem Ratan: Salman Khan is returning as Prem in the Barjatya camp after almost 15 years. For Salman fans who love their typical love stories and family dramas, it can’t get any better than this. In fact, it’s a double whammy, because he plays a double role in the film; that of a king and a common man. Sonam Kapoor, who is the female lead of the movie, plays a princess. Seems like dreamy stuff, so let’s wait and watch as it’s slated for a Novemeber 2015 release. Salman sure looks the part of a king in the movie.
7. Brothers: Akshay Kumar is working with ‘A’ league directorproducer Karan Johar for the very first time! The film is apparently a remake of the 2011 Hollywood flick ‘Warrior’. While Sidharth Malhotra and Akshay play estranged brothers in the movie, Jacqueline Fernandez plays the female lead. The two estranged brothers in the movie end up facing each other in an MMA competition. Sweet!
8. NH10: We’ve been hearing a lot about this one too. The first time ever pairing of Anushka Sharma and Neil Bhoopalam has got everyone talking! Initially there were reports in the media that Anushka wasn’t happy being paired opposite a junior actor like Neil, but these were dusted off. It’s also the first production from Anushka’s own production company called Clean Slate Films. The movie tells the story of a modern day couple whose road trip takes a really nasty turn. With the pairing and the storyline, it’s definitely something worth watching out for!
9. Detective Byomkesh Bakshy: After the dream debut of TV actor Sushant Singh Rajput in ‘Kai Po Che’, the hype didn’t live up o it in his next venture, ‘Shuddh Desi Romance’. But ‘Byomkesh Bakshy’ looks like real serious stuff coming from his end, since viewing the shooting stills. Also, it’s a Dibakar Banerjee flick, and the guy is pure genius and a national award winner. Most importantly, it’s a tale of our favourite childhood detective so we’re definitely excited!
10. Bombay Velvet: It has a first time pairing of Anushka Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor, it’s an Anurag Kashyap film, it’s set in 1960s Bombay, it’s got Karan Johar making his grand debut as a full-fledged actor (rather villain), and it’s got national award winner Amit Trivedi’s music. Phew! Enough reasons to look forward to this one. Ranbir plays a street fighter in the movie, while Anushka plays a jazz singer. It’s got this whole old world charm to it and we really like it!
11. Shandaar: The pairing of Alia Bhatt and Shahid Kapoor definitely looks fresh, and they both look undeniably adorable together. It’s a Vikas Bahl movie. Yes, the same guy who made this year’s blockbuster ‘Queen’, so we have huge expectations. Also, it’s being touted as Bollywood’s first destination wedding movie. Okay, who doesn’t love wedding movies.
12. Roy: It’s been a long time since we’ve seen a great a romantic, action-thriller movie, and ‘Roy’ promises to be exactly that. The first look seems quite dark and mystical, it stars Ranbir Kapoor, Arjun Rampal, and Jacqueline Fernandez. While Ranbir plays a thief named Roy in the movie, Arjun Rampal plays a writer. Quite a cast, and we’d definitely like to see them together onscreen for the very first time.
13. Dil Dhadakne Do: A Zoya Akhtar film on a quintessential Punjabi family enjoying a cruise ship trip. Well, it just has to be a refreshing and feel-good flick! And it’s got quite an ensemble cast – Ranveer Singh, Anushka Sharma, Priyanka Chopra, Anil Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar (obviously!), Rahul Bose, Parmeet Sethi, and more! And no points for guessing, the music is by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. Also, Anushka Sharma might be doing her first ever item number in the movie. It’d be interesting to see ex-couple Ranveer and Anushka’s on-screen chemistry.
14. Phantom: It seems to be a typical terrorism themed Kabir Khan flick. Remember his last ‘Ek Tha Tiger’? Or ‘Kabul Express’ before that? Yes, he’s the same guy. Katrina Kaif and Saif Ali Khan have paired up for this one after ‘Race’, and the shooting stills look really exciting! The movie is apparently about the post 26/11 attacks in Mumbai and global terrorism. After seeing the rugged and rustic look of both Saif and Katrina in the movie, we think it’s going to be a full-on action packed flick,.