32.5 C
Australia
Thursday, October 29, 2020

Australia’s Top-Secret Cyber Weapons Helping To Fight Islamic State

Must read

Gamal Elsaied Elboushi jailed for bomb scare

A Gold Coast man behind a terrifying airport bomb hoax has been jailed for six years, with a decide saying his “criminally appalling...

McLaren Vale: Halloween decorations likened to KKK lynching

Police have paid a go to to a South Australian man after his neighbour likened the Halloween decorations in his entrance yard to...

Australia has taken its fight against Islamic State online — and it’s working, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has declared. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told parliament the country’s top-secret offensive cyber capabilities were becoming more important in countering terrorism.

“While I won’t for obvious reasons go into the details of those operations, I can say that they are being used and that they are making a real difference in the military conflict,” he said in an address on national security.

Australian combat aircraft have participated in coalition air operations in Iraq and Syria since 2014, while Australian and New Zealand troops have been training Iraqi soldiers for the fight against IS.

IS has long maintained an extensive capability to use the internet for its own purposes, using slick video productions to trumpet its successes and persuasive pitches to potential western converts.

Last week IS — also know as Daesh — released a new propaganda video that prominently featured famous Melbourne landmarks.

“Daesh will continue doing this in an attempt to intimidate us but they will not succeed,” Mr Turnbull said on Wednesday.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said IS would use every tool and weapon at their disposal to spread hatred and destroy innocent lives.

“It is vital we continue to enhance the reach and flexibility of our cyber security capabilities,” he said.

It was equally important to protect Australia from digital attacks noting recent incidents involving Austrade, the Bureau of Meteorology and Defence.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull confirmed Australia’s terror threat level remained at ‘probable’ following a review by the director-general of security.

A review by the Commonwealth’s counter-terrorism co-ordinator following the attack in Nice in July also found Australia had a robust legislative policy and operational arrangements in place to protect Australians from any threats.

The classified report did, however, suggest the need for better support for frontline professionals to identify Australians at risk of radicalising towards violent extremism.

A total of 55 people have been charged from 24 counter-terrorism operations around Australia since September 2014.

Online Source: News.com.au.

Latest article

Retailer behind Katies, different iconic manufacturers to shut 250 shops

The retail group that owns Noni B, Katies, Millers and Rivers is closing an additional 250 shops by mid-2020, blaming purchasing centre landlords...

Doncaster affray: Boy, 15, unconscious in hospital after battle between youths

A teenage boy stays unconscious in hospital after he was knocked out throughout a battle in Melbourne’s east in a single day.Police had...

NRL: Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has outlined his position in bettering tradition on the Bulldogs

World Cup profitable All Blacks coach Steve Hansen needs to create a cultural shift on the Bulldogs after agreeing to return on board...

Surfers Paradise: NSW man punches, pushes police

A NSW man who allegedly punched two Gold Coast cops earlier than pushing one onto the street and the opposite right into a...

Parramatta: George Road closed after pictures fired

A significant avenue in Parramatta has been shut down as a police operation unfolds after pictures have been fired at a house in...