20.7 C
Australia
Monday, October 26, 2020

Ashleigh Barty pulls out of US Open due to COVID fears

Must read

Netball: The controvserial super shot rule will remain for 2021

An announcement the controversial “super shot” rule would be kept for the 2021 Super Netball season was met with immediate disapproval. The rule...

AFL: Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko says getting Joe Daniher could be a bonanza for the club

Big-marking Brisbane Lion Eric Hipwood will have the most to benefit from Joe Daniher’s potential move to Brisbane according to his captain Dayne...
The Indian Telegraphhttps://theindiantelegraph.com.au/
Established in 2007, The Indian Telegraph is a multi award winning digital media company based in Australia.

World No. 1 women’s Tennis player Ashleigh Barty has pulled out of this year’s US Open due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.

“My team and I have decided that we won’t be travelling to the US and Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year,” Barty was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun newspaper.

“I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and me in that position.”

“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and look forward to being back in the US next year,” she added.

The Australian is the highest profile player so far to pull out of the event which is scheduled to take place in New York from August 31-September 13. The Grand Slam is slated to be held amid a slew of restrictions on player movements and the number of people that accompany them to the venue and on court.

The 24-year-old further said that she is yet to decide if she will defend her French Open championship, with that event rescheduled for late September.

“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) European tournaments in the coming weeks,” Barty said.

Earlier men’s World No.1 Novak Djokovic had said that he is undecided on whether he wants to participate in the US Open or not this year. Djokovic had said that the upsurge in cases in America does not spell well for the US Open.

Latest article

International Minister Marise Payne says Doha aircraft incident ‘grossly disturbing’

The invasive examination of 13 Aussie ladies from a Qatar Airways flight has been slammed by the overseas minister as “grossly disturbing”.The incident...

QLD election 2020 reside updates: AFL commentator’s awkward Palaszczuk mix-up

The Queensland Authorities has been hailed because the AFL saviour for agreeing to host an enormous chunk of the game's season however that...

Queensland election 2020: Key seats that can determine election

Within the last week earlier than Saturday’s Queensland election, file numbers of voters have already had their say on the poll field in...

Jenny Mikakos slams Dan Andrews a second time for not easing restrictions

Former well being minister Jenny Mikakos has taken one other swipe at Daniel Andrews over his controversial transfer to delay Melbourne’s break from...

Satan’s Pool drowning deaths: Aboriginal fantasy of Oolana

It’s identified by native Indigenous individuals because the Washing Machine. A good looking pool in tropical rainforest that, legend has it, is cursed...