THIS is the shocking moment an Apple fan’s iPhone 7 Plus caught fire and then exploded.
Brianna Olivas said her rose gold smartphone suddenly began emitting smoke and “blew up” shortly afterwards.
In her video, smoke can be seen pouring from a gaping hole in the side of the phone, which has been twisted and bent by the heat of the overheating battery.
The Sun reports the incident echoes the Samsung exploding phone scandal, in which millions of fire-prone phones were recalled.
“So my iPhone 7 plus blew up this morning — was not even using it, literally no explanation for this,” she tweeted.
She had recently brought her iPhone to an Apple Store, because it wasn’t working properly.
But after it started operating normally again, the smartphone suddenly burst into flames for no apparent reason.
“I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser,” she told Mashable.
“He went the [sic] rest room … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise.
“By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the rest room … as soon as he threw it in the rest room is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”
The tech giant is now investigating the incident.
“We are in touch with the customer and looking into it,” Apple wrote.
Last year, Samsung recalled its latest flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a number of devices exploded while being charged up.
Samsung suspended sales just two weeks after the flagship phone’s launch.
At this stage, the exploding iPhone appears to be an isolated incident.
Online Source: The News