MATTHEW Wade believes he has done enough to retain his spot for the Ashes but the incumbent keeper is realistic about his Test future should he be left out of the first Test.
MATTHEW Wade believes his Test career will be over if he doesn’t retain his spot for the Ashes when the team is named on Friday.
And the embattled keeper, who didn’t know if he was in or out after taking seven catches for Tasmania in the drawn Sheffield Shield clash with Victoria at the MCG, laid down a marker declaring no-one other than West Australian bolter Cameron Bancroft, a part-time gloveman, had done enough to oust him from the team.
Wade conceded he had struggled for runs, making just 38 in six Shield innings this summer and averaging just 20 through the past 10 Tests.
But he said his form through tours of India and Bangladesh should be enough for selectors to “trust” that he could do the job against England.
“I played the last Test match so at the moment I’m the Test keeper. It’s frustrating, I’d like to know, everyone would like to know, but what do you do?,” Wade said.
“The last month has been hard work. Performance wise I’d like to get a few more runs, but I am doing everything I can do; training hard, doing the right things off the ground.
“I felt like I kept well throughout India, and even Bangladesh. I know there was a lot spoken about, but they were tough wickets to keep on. I have felt good with my keeping for a long time now through the one day stuff for three years and the last run in Test cricket.
“I would like to get some more runs obviously. But I think I have proven over a long period of time that I can bat.
“I hope the trust is there. (Cameron) Bancroft is the only one in the last couple of games who has put weight of runs on the board, and he has kept the last couple of games. Apart from that I haven’t seen anyone else around the really country really throwing their hand up.
“I’ve done it for a long period of time now so hopefully I get the nod.”
Speculation remains rife that NSW gloveman Peter Nevill will get the nod ahead of Wade.
That would be a reversal of fortunes from this time last summer when Wade was recalled to replace Nevill, and went on to play in the past 10 Tests.
And Wade, who believes it remained a “50-50” call for selectors, said if he was to be ousted this time, it would be hard to get back again.
“If I get dropped now from Test cricket I’d be surprised if I got another call back. That would be my second (time dropped),” he said.
“I’d be surprised if I played Test cricket again if it didn’t work out this time. But who knows.
“Honestly I have got no idea. I’d say it’s 50-50. They’ll either pick me or they won’t.
“If it doesn’t work out then I have given it my best chance.”
Online Source News.com.au.