World

Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

The family of a seven-year-old boy missing since last week’s Barcelona terror attack confirmed on Sunday that he had died and paid tribute to the “energetic, funny and cheeky” schoolboy who always brought “a smile to our faces”.

Julian Cadman, who had dual British-Australian nationality, had been missing since the attack on Thursday. His family confirmed on Sunday that he was among the 13 people killed in Barcelona.

“Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family. As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us,” they said in a statement issued through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia.

“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.

“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.”

In the immediate aftermath of the attack, it was unclear what had happened to Julian. On Friday Theresa May, the UK prime minister, said the British government was “urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing, who is a British dual national”.

Reports emerged that he had been separated from his mother, who was badly injured. It is understood that she is in a serious condition in hospital. Family members shared pictures of Julian in an attempt to locate him, while his father and grandmother travelled to Spain from Australia.

The boy’s father, Andrew Cadman, landed on Saturday afternoon to comfort his seriously injured wife, Jumarie, known as Jom. It is understood she was in the area to attend a family wedding when she and her son were struck by the terrorist’s van which killed 13 people and left more than 100 injured.

Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary said: “I send my sincerest sympathies to the family of Julian Cadman and all those who loved him. His death is a tragedy. The FCO, our Australian colleagues and the Spanish authorities continue to do all we can to support his family at this deeply distressing time.”

Malcolm Turnbull, the Australian prime minister, had earlier described the family’s ordeal as tragic.

As well as confirming Julian’s death, Catalan police said they had confirmed the identities of a Belgian and Italian victim, but did not name them. At least 14 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, with those affected hailing from all over the world.

Twelve of the 14 people killed in the two attacks have been named. DNA tests are being carried out on the remaining two bodies. Once the identities are confirmed, police will inform the courts, then the families and finally the public. Of the injured, 53 are still in hospital, 13 of them in a critical condition.

Citizens of 34 countries were caught up in the atrocities, including England, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Australia, Canada, the United States, France and China.

Authorities have identified victims of the attack in Barcelona as British-Australian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Spanish-Argentine, Canadian, Belgian and American. The victim of the second assault in Cambrils has been identified as a Spanish woman.

Online Source: The Guardian

World

More in World

Love For Love’s Sake

Twinkle GhoshMarch 6, 2018

In The Name Of Guns, Cannabis & The Holy Yoga

Twinkle GhoshJanuary 25, 2018

‘Potentially Hazardous’ Asteroid The Size Of The Burj Khalifa Is Heading Towards The Earth At 67,000mph

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 18, 2018

Nepalese Chef Stalked His British Girlfriend Before Killing Her In Horrific Murder-Suicide At Their Sydney Apartment

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 18, 2018

Louis Vuitton Offers To Invest $500 million in Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 12, 2018

Zainab Ansari: Murder and rape of eight-year-old shocks Pakistan

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 12, 2018

Harvey Weinstein Slapped at Arizona Eatery

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 11, 2018

McDonald’s Announces The Return Of The Chicken Big Mac

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 10, 2018

Netflix Warning For Australia: Delete This Email Immediately

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 10, 2018

Racially Insensitive Product Photo Brings H&M On Its Knees

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 9, 2018

Nearly 200 hit by gastro on Sea Princess cruise ship docking in Brisbane

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 4, 2018

Australia Opens Doors For Medical Cannabis Export

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 4, 2018

Iceland Becomes First Country In The World To Make It Illegal To Pay Men More Than Women

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 3, 2018

Australian War Veteran Arrested After Locking Up His Girlfriend’s Family For 10 Hours And ‘Demanding Her Sister And Niece Have Sex With Him’

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 3, 2018

New Laws And Changes That Will Affect Australia From 2018 And Beyond

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 2, 2018

Australia’s Economy Closing In On The World’s Top 10

The Indian TelegraphDecember 28, 2017

Gold Coast All Set To Be Australia’s Next World Class Destination

The Indian TelegraphDecember 28, 2017

Long lost Australian submarine found after being missing for 103 years

The Indian TelegraphDecember 21, 2017

Facebook Now Notifies You When You Are In An Untagged Photo

The Indian TelegraphDecember 20, 2017
‘We are human beings, not slaves and animals’: Brutal conditions inside Amazon warehouse

‘We are human beings, not slaves and animals’: Brutal conditions inside Amazon warehouse

The Indian TelegraphNovember 27, 2017
Fisherman Jumps Into A Cove - And Is Ambushed By A Shark

Fisherman Jumps Into A Cove – And Is Ambushed By A Shark

The Indian TelegraphNovember 27, 2017