World

First responder to Manchester Arena attack describes final moments he held dying Saffie in his arms

First responder to Manchester Arena attack describes final moments he held dying Saffie in his arms

EIGHT-year-old terror victim Saffie Roussos called out for her mum as she was held by a first-aider in her dying moments.

Distraught Paul Reid, 43, tried to reassure the little girl that she would be OK as they waited for help amid the carnage in the Manchester Arena.

In an exclusive interview with The Sun, Mr Reid said he dashed back in to look for the terrorist after he heard the bomb at the end of the Ariana Grande gig on Monday night.

Instead he found himself comforting the injured strewn across the floor, including little Saffie, who he wrapped in his coat before helping onto a makeshift stretcher.

He discovered the following day that she had died in hospital from her devastating injuries — the youngest of the 22 killed in the atrocity.

In floods of tears the forklift truck driver said yesterday: “She was a dying little girl and she just wanted her mum. It was devastating.”

Dad Paul had been at the concert and was one of the first to dial emergency services after hearing evil Salman Abedi blow himself up in the foyer.

He recalled: “The concert was just about to end and I was at the bottom of the stairs at the main exit. Then I just heard a boom. I could see dust, smoke and stuff flying around.

“I ran back up the stairs and I was actually looking for a terrorist. I knew it had been a bomb.

Paul then wept as he described seeing a dying teenage girl just a few feet away.

He said: “She was trembling all over.”

2

Paul then told how he saw Saffie, who had been at the concert with her mum Lisa and an older sister.

She was lying 15ft from an exit door wearing a T-shirt, leggings and ankle boots. He said: “I saw the little girl was conscious and I said, ‘What’s your name?’

“I thought she said Sophie. When I asked her how old she was she said she was eight.

“I wanted to keep her talking and asked her if she had enjoyed the concert but then I realised she was having difficulty breathing.

“She said, ‘Where’s my mum?’ I said to her, ‘I don’t know but we are going to find her in a minute. Don’t worry. We are going to sort it out. You are going to be all right’.

“The little girl’s legs were mangled in a bad way and she had a big round hole above her hip but there was no blood coming out of it. She also had a big head injury to her temple. She said, ‘What’s happened?’ What could I say to her? I just tried to reassure her, then one of the paramedics came.

“She cut the girl’s trousers off, did a quick assessment and told me to stop with her.

“The girl kept trying to fall asleep but I knew I had to keep her awake and conscious. I was stroking her face and saying, ‘Come on Sophie stay awake. You’re going to be all right. They are coming to take you away in a minute.’

“But she kept drifting into unconsciousness. I cannot bear to think about it. Then she started shivering and told me she felt cold. I took my coat off and put it over her but she was still shaking a bit.

“Once we got outside one of the police flags down an ambulance. We gently put her in and she is still alive with her eyes open. That’s the last time I saw her.”

3

4

Paul rang the police when he arrived back at 4am. He recalled: “I asked the operator what happened to a little girl called Sophie but no one could tell me anything.”

However, when he saw the news reports the next day he recognised one of the first victims as the girl he had tried to save.

Paul said: “I saw the pictures and knew it was the child I called Sophie. We did our best to save her but in the end no one could.

“I only knew her for a few minutes but I will never forget her.”

SECOND YOUNGEST VICTIM NAMED

A young girl missing after Monday’s attack is the latest confirmed victim.

Eilidh MacLeod’s parents released a statement paying tribute to the 14-year-old, saying “words cannot express how we feel at losing our darling Eilidh”.

She was the second youngest victim in the attacks.

Eilidh went missing with her friend Laura MacIntyre, who was found in hospital with serious injuries.

5

TEENAGE COUPLE ‘MEANT TO BE TOGETHER’

A teenage couple killed in the attacks, Chloe Rutherford, 17, and Liam Curry, 19, from South Shields in northeast England, were inseparable, their grieving families said.

“They were perfect in every way for each other and were meant to be” and were “beautiful inside and out,” the joint statement said.

“They lived to go to new places together and explore different cities. They wanted to be together forever and now they are.”

FAMILIES FRANTIC SEARCH END IN LOSS

Olivia Campbell, 15, was at the concert with her friend Adam, who survived and received hospital treatment. Olivia’s family spent Tuesday frantically searching for her and in the early hours of Wednesday Charlotte Campbell confirmed on Facebook her daughter had died in the blast.

Alongside a photo of Olivia she wrote: “RIP my darling precious gorgeous girl Olivia Campbell taken far too soon go sing with the angels and keep smiling mummy loves you so much.”

Olivia’s devastated mother, Charlotte, broke down at a vigil in tragic scenes, comforted by Olivia’s stepfather, Paul Hodgson.

6

REALITY TV STAR NAMED AS VICTIM

Martyn Hett was a former reality TV star who’s campaign to help his mum’s knitting stall went viral last year.

The 29-year-old has been named as one of the 22 victims of the suicide nail bombing, after a high-profile social media appeal to find him led by his family and comedian Jason Manford.

Martyn hit the headlines in November last year — when he made his hardworking mum a viral sensation. He appeared on the programs Come Dine with Me and Tattoo Fixers.

After news of the bombing at Manchester Arena, Martyn’s friends, including comedian Jason Manford, had taken to social media to appeal for information about him before his boyfriend, Russell Hayward, announced the tragic news on Twitter.

He wrote: “We got the news last night that our wonderful iconic and beautiful Martyn didn’t survive. He left this world exactly how he lives, centre of attention. I’m in a really bad way so please forgive me if I don’t reply. Thankfully I have his wonderful family and amazing friends to keep each other strong. I love you Martyn. I always will.”

ANOTHER YOUNG LIFE CUT SHORT

Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, of Leeds, died after the attack in which her mother and grandmother were also hospitalised.

Michael Healey, Sorrell’s grandfather, said in a statement issued through Greater Manchester Police he said he was “absolutely heartbroken” to confirm she was killed in the Manchester attack.

He said his wife Pauline remains in intensive care and Sorrell’s mother Samantha is recovering from surgery “as she tries to make sense of the devastating loss of her daughter”.

In a tragic twist, the teenager, her mum and her grandmother did not even attend the concert but were there to collect her sister, who was not injured, the BBC reported.

“Sorrell was only 14, but she was our rock, she kept us all grounded,” said Mr Healey. “She was such a clever, talented, creative girl, there was nothing she couldn’t do.

“She was going to be an architect and wanted to go to Columbia University in New York to study so that she could build hotels with slides coming out of the rooms and so that she could build her mum a house.”

7

“Fourteen and not even lived your life yet. You’ll be sadly missed by us all,” a friend, Mark Burton, wrote on Facebook.

Sorrell’s aunt Stacie Healey wrote on a fundraising page for the young girl’s family: “[Pauline] was seriously hurt, she has had a 15 hour surgery to remove shrapnel from her body and has compound wounds to her arms and legs, she is still not awake from this, we are a long way from home and my dad will not leave her side, he is self employed and will not work for months,” she wrote.

“Above all this he and my mum lost their granddaughter Sorrell in the attack, please please please donate so he does not have to worry about money as well.”

Allerton High School headteacher Elaine Silson described Sorrell as “a delightful member of the school community”. “Our staff and students are very upset,” she wrote in a letter to parents.

8

‘FAMILY WAS HER LIFE’

The family of Michelle Kiss is “devastated” after learning of her death following Monday’s terror attack.

She was a loving wife to Tony and mother to Dylan, Elliot and Millie, her family said in a statement.

“Family was her life and we are all obviously devastated by her loss. She has been taken away from us, and all that love her, in the most traumatic way imaginable,” they said.

“We hope to draw from the courage and strength she showed in her life to get through this extremely difficult time.”

9

Online Source: news.com.au

More in World

North Korean UN envoy says 'nuclear war may break out at any moment'

North Korean UN envoy says ‘nuclear war may break out at any moment’

The Indian TelegraphOctober 17, 2017
Madhu Valli From The US Crowned 'Miss India Worldwide'

Madhu Valli From The US Crowned ‘Miss India Worldwide’

The Indian TelegraphOctober 14, 2017
Missile test fears as North Korea marks key party anniversary

Missile test fears as North Korea marks key party anniversary

The Indian TelegraphOctober 10, 2017
Indian-American Entrepreneur Offers Fast-Track Mini Nuclear Reactors To India

Indian-American Entrepreneur Offers Fast-Track Mini Nuclear Reactors To India

The Indian TelegraphOctober 10, 2017
Hugh

Hugh Hefner’s cause of death revealed

The Indian TelegraphOctober 4, 2017
Police Struggle To Discern Motive After 59 Dead, Hundreds Hurt In Vegas

Police Struggle To Discern Motive After 59 Dead, Hundreds Hurt In Vegas

The Indian TelegraphOctober 3, 2017
Kuwait Frees 22 Indian Prisoners, Reduces Sentences Of 97 Others

Kuwait Frees 22 Indian Prisoners, Reduces Sentences Of 97 Others

The Indian TelegraphOctober 2, 2017
Indian American Couple Pledges $200 Million For Campus Near Vadodara

Indian American Couple Pledges $200 Million For Campus Near Vadodara

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 26, 2017
'Missile Launch, Take Cover': Japan's Terrifying Wake-Up Call

‘Missile Launch, Take Cover’: Japan’s Terrifying Wake-Up Call

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 15, 2017

60 Indians Being Evacuated From Hurricane Irma Hit-French Island St Martin

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 11, 2017
Donald Trump May Appoint Indian-American Manisha Singh To Key Position

Donald Trump May Appoint Indian-American Manisha Singh To Key Position

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 8, 2017
Man Had Parents Travel From India To Help Him Beat Wife, Police Say

Man Had Parents Travel From India To Help Him Beat Wife, Police Say

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 7, 2017
Donald Trump's Move Against Illegal Immigrants To Impact 7,000 Indian-Americans: Report

Donald Trump’s Move Against Illegal Immigrants To Impact 7,000 Indian-Americans: Report

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 5, 2017
Billionaire Brothers From India Build System to Take On Slack

Billionaire Brothers From India Build System to Take On Slack

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 4, 2017
BRICS Declaration

BRICS Declaration Names Pakistan-Based Terror Groups For The First Time

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 4, 2017
Indian-Americans In Texas Help Thousands With Food, Medical Aid

Indian-Americans In Texas Help Thousands With Food, Medical Aid

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 2, 2017
Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges 'harshest sanctions'

Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges ‘harshest sanctions’

The Indian TelegraphAugust 30, 2017
North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan: Seoul, Tokyo

North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan: Seoul, Tokyo

The Indian TelegraphAugust 29, 2017
Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

The Indian TelegraphAugust 21, 2017
Finland attack: At least two dead, several injured as man goes on stabbing spree in Turku, suspect held

Finland attack: At least two dead, several injured as man goes on stabbing spree in Turku, suspect held

The Indian TelegraphAugust 19, 2017
Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

The Indian TelegraphAugust 18, 2017