Australia

Barely half of population born in Australia to Australian-born parents

Barely half of population born in Australia to Australian-born parents

Census shows 49% of population either first- or second-generation migrants, with remaining 51% at least third generation

Australia’s population is approaching a tipping point, with nearly as many first- or second-generation migrants as people who are at least third-generation Australians.

The 2016 census results, published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday, reveal the changing impact of migration.

Nearly half (49%) of all Australians were either born overseas (first generation) or have at least one parent born overseas (second generation). The remaining 51% were at least third generation – born in Australia to Australian-born parents.

Fifty years ago, the overseas-born population was only 18% of the total. At that time, a third (32%) were born in England, with only 1.6% from India and China combined. In the 2016 census, for the first time, most people born overseas were from Asia, not Europe.

Countries of birth, 1966-2016
% overseas-born population

graphic

Even within second-generation Australians, demographic splits are beginning to emerge, with those aged 40 and under more likely to be of Asian ethnicity and those over 40 more likely to have both parents born in a European country.

As of 2015, Australia had the ninth-largest number of overseas-born people of any country, and the highest proportion of its population, at 26% – ahead of New Zealand (23%) and Canada (22%), the bureau found.

The median age of Australia’s overseas-born population was 44, compared with 34 among those born in Australia. The ABS linked this to large-scale migration waves from Europe after the second world war.

Those born in Asia had a median age of 35, reflecting the increase in migration from China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines since 1975. Of the overseas-born population, nearly one in five (18%) had arrived since the start of 2012.

The top five most commonly reported countries of birth among the 26% of Australians born overseas were England (14.7%), New Zealand (8.4%, down from 9.1% in 2011), China (8.3%, up from 6%), India (7.4%, up from 5.6%) and the Philippines (3.8%).

Over 40% of the overseas-born population spoke only English at home in 2016, with Mandarin the second-most commonly spoken language, at 8.3%.

Most overseas-born Australians (61%) lived in New South Wales and Victoria, though there has been a notable increase in the proportion in Queensland (from 9.5% to 16.5% in 2016) and Western Australia (from 9.3% to 12.9%) since 1966.

Online Source: The Guardian

Australia

More in Australia

Dimple Grace Thomas

Indian Woman Jailed For Reckless Driving, Killing Baby In Australia

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 7, 2017
Shark nets to be trialled again on New South Wales north coast beaches

Shark nets to be trialled again on New South Wales north coast beaches

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 1, 2017
Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges 'harshest sanctions'

Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges ‘harshest sanctions’

The Indian TelegraphAugust 30, 2017
Australia offers to train Philippine army in fight against Islamic State

Australia offers to train Philippine army in fight against Islamic State

The Indian TelegraphAugust 29, 2017
Coalition urges high court to fast-track MPs' citizenship cases

Coalition urges high court to fast-track MPs’ citizenship cases

The Indian TelegraphAugust 23, 2017
Facebook

Senate hears Facebook pays news publishers average of $100 a day to use content

The Indian TelegraphAugust 23, 2017
Why Pyongyang doesn’t have an embassy in Australia

Why Pyongyang doesn’t have an embassy in Australia

The Indian TelegraphAugust 10, 2017
Bloodied Melbourne teen ‘eaten’ by mystery sea creatures

Bloodied Melbourne teen ‘eaten’ by mystery sea creatures

The Indian TelegraphAugust 7, 2017
ONLINE VISITOR VISA LODGEMENT FOR INDIAN NATIONALS

ONLINE VISITOR VISA LODGEMENT FOR INDIAN NATIONALS

The Indian TelegraphJune 19, 2017
City-wide probe into Orange's water network amid concern about fire-fighting capacity

City-wide probe into Orange’s water network amid concern about fire-fighting capacity

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 27, 2017
CEFC approached about coal-fired power station but says plant not 'financeable'

CEFC approached about coal-fired power station but says plant not ‘financeable’

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 27, 2017
Credit card holders panic at $4113

Credit card holders panic at $4113

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 23, 2017
Centrelink's robo-debt system scrutinised by national audit office

Centrelink’s robo-debt system scrutinised by national audit office

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 23, 2017
Christian Brothers 'will disappear from Australia' because of ageing membership

Christian Brothers ‘will disappear from Australia’ because of ageing membership

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 23, 2017
Australian termites followed similar evolutionary path to humans, study finds

Australian termites followed similar evolutionary path to humans, study finds

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 22, 2017
Four US tourists and pilot killed in Australian plane crash

Four US tourists and pilot killed in Australian plane crash

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 22, 2017
Paid family leave transformed Australian business – it's now under threat

Paid family leave transformed Australian business – it’s now under threat

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 20, 2017
Coalition orders review of IT projects after census, Centrelink and tax office woes

Coalition orders review of IT projects after census, Centrelink and tax office woes

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 17, 2017
Peter Dutton says tougher citizenship test may be on the way

Peter Dutton says tougher citizenship test may be on the way

The Indian TelegraphFebruary 10, 2017
Friends pay tribute to stuntman shot dead in Bliss N Eso video

Friends pay tribute to stuntman shot dead in Bliss N Eso video

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 24, 2017
Matt Renshaw on the drive at the Gabba

Australia v India: Matt Renshaw wants to go on Test tour to ‘improve and learn’

The Indian TelegraphJanuary 19, 2017