World

Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

Urgent appeals made for English, Italian and French translators to make their way to hospitals to assist staff

Citizens from at least two dozen countries have been injured or killed in the van attack in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona and the coastal town of Cambrils, according to Catalan authorities.

By Friday morning the death toll stood at 13 bystanders killed and more than 100 injured.

So far, the youngest victim of the attacks is thought to be a three-year-old child, Spanish media have reported, who died shortly after she was taken to the hospital. A 6-year-old girl of unknown nationality has also been hospitalised with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall Hebron university hospital told The New York Times.

So far, the British foreign office has had no confirmed reports of British citizens injured or killed, but Chris Pawley (30), a survivor of the Manchester bombings was visiting Spain with his partner and was in the area when the attack occurred.
He told the Manchester Evening News he “can’t believe” he been caught up in a second terrorism incident in less than six months. He had just left the Ariana Grande in May when the bomb exploded.

“There was police everywhere and ambulances, the shops started putting the shutters down” Pawley told the newspaper about Thursday’s attack.

“We have just come back to the hotel, as we were caught up in the arena attack – can’t believe it.”

Belgium’s foreign affairs minister Didier Reynders confirmed on Twitter that one of its citizens was killed in the attack, and also said the Belgium embassy was in touch with hospitals in the area regarding other possible victims.

The Hague said three Dutch were injured, and a Greek diplomat reported three nationals had been wounded – a woman and her two children. China also confirmed a citizen of Hong Kong had minor injuries, while the US state department said it knew of one American with minor injuries.

In Australia, foreign minister Julie Bishop said four Australians were hurt, with two women in a serious but stable condition in hospital, while two Australian men who were “directly affected” had retreated to their hotel room and would seek medical attention in the morning. One Australian is still missing the minister said.

Throughout the long, chaotic night there were urgent appeals on social media for English, Italian and French translators to make their way to hospitals and health clinics to assist staff attending the dozens of non-Spanish speaking victims.

Overnight, many countries set up emergency helplines for their citizens caught up in the violence and sent out warnings for those trapped in the affected area to remain inside and hunker down while counter-terrorism efforts were underway.

Spanish police meanwhile swept through the narrow alleys branching off Las Ramblas, past deserted outdoor cafes, where half-eaten plates of tapas lay abandoned by diners who fled desperately for their lives, as terrified screams errupted from a place that is usually home to laughter and joy.

As Spain wakes today to begin mourning foreign embassies are still scrambling to find their people, many of whom are not believed to have registered their travel plans and movements.

Spanish authorities are yet to publish the names of the dead and injured.

Many parts of central Barcelona remained in lock-down overnight, with guests told to stay in their homes or hotels, and the metro and most transport routes shut-down. Families and friends have been split up, with police evacuating people to different parts of the city, and cellphone networks overwhelmed and jammed.

Catalan authorities urged those affected to stay off the phone networks and use social media to inform their loved ones they were ok. Facebook activated its safety check device for the incident, as it has done for terror attacks recently in Manchester and London.

In Paris, the Eiffle tower turned off its lights as a sign of respect to the innocent victims caught up in the violence, and in New York the world trade centre spire was lit with the colours of the Spanish flag to honour the victims.

Graphic videos of the attack that show maimed and bloodied bodies were widely posted – and condemned – on social media channels, with some on the twitter community chastising people who posted the footage for filming rather than helping the injured victims.

Online Source: The Guardian

World

More in World

'Missile Launch, Take Cover': Japan's Terrifying Wake-Up Call

‘Missile Launch, Take Cover’: Japan’s Terrifying Wake-Up Call

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 15, 2017

60 Indians Being Evacuated From Hurricane Irma Hit-French Island St Martin

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 11, 2017
Donald Trump May Appoint Indian-American Manisha Singh To Key Position

Donald Trump May Appoint Indian-American Manisha Singh To Key Position

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 8, 2017
Man Had Parents Travel From India To Help Him Beat Wife, Police Say

Man Had Parents Travel From India To Help Him Beat Wife, Police Say

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 7, 2017
Donald Trump's Move Against Illegal Immigrants To Impact 7,000 Indian-Americans: Report

Donald Trump’s Move Against Illegal Immigrants To Impact 7,000 Indian-Americans: Report

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 5, 2017
Billionaire Brothers From India Build System to Take On Slack

Billionaire Brothers From India Build System to Take On Slack

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 4, 2017
BRICS Declaration

BRICS Declaration Names Pakistan-Based Terror Groups For The First Time

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 4, 2017
Indian-Americans In Texas Help Thousands With Food, Medical Aid

Indian-Americans In Texas Help Thousands With Food, Medical Aid

The Indian TelegraphSeptember 2, 2017
Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges 'harshest sanctions'

Malcolm Turnbull condemns North Korean missile test and urges ‘harshest sanctions’

The Indian TelegraphAugust 30, 2017
North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan: Seoul, Tokyo

North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan: Seoul, Tokyo

The Indian TelegraphAugust 29, 2017
Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack

The Indian TelegraphAugust 21, 2017
Finland attack: At least two dead, several injured as man goes on stabbing spree in Turku, suspect held

Finland attack: At least two dead, several injured as man goes on stabbing spree in Turku, suspect held

The Indian TelegraphAugust 19, 2017
India, China Cannot Defeat Each Other, Says Dalai Lama

India, China Cannot Defeat Each Other, Says Dalai Lama

The Indian TelegraphAugust 14, 2017
Why Pyongyang doesn’t have an embassy in Australia

Why Pyongyang doesn’t have an embassy in Australia

The Indian TelegraphAugust 10, 2017
H-1B visa

H-1B visa restriction may affect US IT production: Report

The Indian TelegraphAugust 8, 2017
Fears China, India conflict will boil over into all-out war over disputed territory

Fears China, India conflict will boil over into all-out war over disputed territory

The Indian TelegraphJuly 31, 2017
White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigns

White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigns

The Indian TelegraphJuly 22, 2017
Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington dies aged 41

Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington dies aged 41

The Indian TelegraphJuly 21, 2017

India has maximum number of selfie deaths in world: Reports

The Indian TelegraphJuly 7, 2017
Stop terror attacks being launched from your soil, India, US tell Pakistan

Stop terror attacks being launched from your soil, India, US tell Pakistan

The Indian TelegraphJune 27, 2017
London fire: Massive flames engulf 27-storey tower, 200 firefighters at the spot

London fire: Massive flames engulf 27-storey tower, 200 firefighters at the spot

The Indian TelegraphJune 14, 2017